Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Quiero ser una artista!


“Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que ví un niño que no tenía pies”

“I cried because I didn’t have shoes until I saw a child that didn’t have feet.” This phrase is written on one of the walls in the Guayasamin art museum that we visited today. Guayasamin was an amazing artist born in Quito who got his inspiration from Pablo Picasso and Francisco Goya. If you know anything about art history, you can really see these artists come out in his work. Much of what Guayasamin painted shows the pain and suffering endured by the people, especially indigenous women and children. Although depressing and devastating, I found it beautiful. Guayasamin was also an advocate for peace and hope. Some of his paintings (as seen above- my favorites) were quite a bit more pleasant. It was an amazing museum; it was obvious by the architecture that the building was built around the art. I don’t have many pictures from the inside because we weren’t supposed to take any, but there were quite a few murals outside as well!

I also had my first experience being sick in another country! Yikes...last night I was so so sick. I'll spare you guys the details, but it was miserable. And of course, all I wanted was my mommy! But my host mom was very good to me. I think we decided it was because I ate strawberries from the local market on Monday without disinfecting them- my friend only washed them with the tap water there. Mistake. I should have known with my stomach! Ha...well you can bet I won't be doing that again!

Classes have started- quite a bit of homework already, but I've been managing. I have a lot of free time in the evening, and since I haven't been feeling well I haven't gone out much. My host brother invited me out to a discoteca tonight, but I better get well first, and I have to be up early tomorrow. Today I was still pretty queasy! I have my interview on Firday morning for my internship with CICLOPOLIS. I hope that goes well- it's kind of sad because that's the day we're going up Mt. Pichincha so I'll miss part of it. But I'll make it and come back with pictures! Until then...

paz y esperanza,
Natalie

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Sounds like you have already had some awesome experiences. I look forward to reading more! Hope you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete